Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Stir-Fried Chicken with Broccoli

This week I decided to make Stir-Fried Chicken with Broccoli or Cauliflower (pg. 674 - 675) from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (revised edition).

The recipe called for:

  • 2 cups Broccoli or cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup neutral oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 medium to large onion, sliced
  • 1/2 cup scallion
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • salt and ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup water, or chicken or vegetable broth


The first thing I did was cut all the vegetables so that they would be ready when I needed them. Then I parboiled the broccoli. While the broccoli was parboiling, I put a skillet over high heat and added oil to it. The oil I used was extra virgin olive oil. I don't know if this is a neutral oil, but I didn't have grapeseed or corn oil. Half the garlic was then added to the skillet, followed by onion, broccoli, and scallion.

          *The recipe called for minced ginger, but I overlooked that ingredient when I was grocery shopping, so I made the stir fry without it.







In a large skillet, I added, the other half of garlic, and the chicken.







When the chicken was done, I added the vegetables to the large skillet and tossed them together. I then added the sugar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and water, and stirred it all together.







I also made white rice (pg. 458), and served them together.







My mom, dad, sister, and I ate this for dinner. Everyone said it tasted really good! I found that this recipe was very simple, and its something I would make again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment