Sunday, October 21, 2012

Garlic, with a Side of Collard Greens

So, in lab this week, I had collard greens for the first time.  I know, where have I been? 
And despite my usual distaste for warm leafy greens (I firmly believe they have no business being warm and wilty), I actually really enjoyed them.  This week's trip to the Farmer's Market landed me with my very own bundle of greens and not a clue what to do with them -- Challenge Accepted.
I dipped into Bittman and stumbled onto a recipe for Collards with Double Garlic (pg 562).  I would literally eat a cardboard box if it was served with enough garlic, so I figured this was a foolproof plan.


The ingredients are as basic as it gets: Collard greens, olive oil (I used sunflower oil), water/broth, salt and pepper, some red pepper flakes, and of course, a healthy serving of garlic.


Put your oil and spices in a pot for a minute to get all good and smelly
Put your collards in the pot
Let those suckers steam for a bit....
Throw some more garlic on there


And you've got yourself some leafy greens, full of vitamins and nutrients.
Added Bonus: this dish is guaranteed to keep away vampires and ex-boyfriends.


No comments:

Post a Comment