Sunday, October 7, 2012

Ode to the Farmers Market

All the pickling, blanching, freezing, and canning we have done the last few weeks of class have inspired in me a desire to PRESERVE! 

So last Saturday I went to the North Lyndale Farmers Market with a plan to stock up on fresh bright beautiful produce and practice some of what we have learned.

I found $27 cash between all my different bags, and decided to put it all toward the cause.  Here's what that got me at the market:

3 bunches of greens- $5
4 apples- $2
4 Cucumbers- $2
Summer Squash/Zucchini- $3
Spaghetti Squash- $1
Brussels Sprouts- $3
Beets- $4
Heirloom tiny tomatoes- $4
And my adventurous buy of the day- Chicken Livers- $3

So far, I have blanched one bunch of kale, half a bunch of collards, and all the brussels sprouts (now in the freezer).  I roasted  the beets, freezing half.  I added the tomatoes and cucumbers to salads which I ate for lunches all this week (with the homemade salad dressing made after class during week 1, of course).  Another one of the cucumbers is pickling in the fridge.  Then-- inspired by Kate-- I cooked chicken liver for the first time ever and made a pate out of it, using this recipe by Bittman  (not sure if I like it, but it was an interesting process).  Half of that is also now in the freezer.  The squash is still sitting on the counter, but hopefully will turn into something edible soon.

My freezer is so full!!  And all this food is so good!  It's great.  I am planning to go to the market again today for more greens (to freeze) and apples (for apple sauce making/canning), as soon as I finish this blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment