Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Penne with Tomato-Shrimp Sauce

This week I made Penne with Tomato-Shrimp Sauce (pg. 528-529) from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

The recipe called for:

  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small dried hot chile or hot red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoe, seeded ( or drained canned)
  • 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound penne or other cut pasta
  • 3/4 to 1 pound large (21-30) shrimp, pealed, cup if if very large
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

I brought a large pot of water to a boil and salted it. I used spiral pasta, because I didn't have penne pasta. I then put oil in a large skillet. When the oil was hot I added chile powder, because I didn't have a hot chile or hot red pepper flakes. I thought this would be okay because the chile was only used for taste and would be discarded anyway. I also added the crushed garlic. The garlic was also only used for taste, so when it was brown I removed it and discarded it. 




I then drained the canned tomatoes and added them to the skillet. I used the tomatoes we canned in lab! After a while I added the rosemary, salt, and pepper. I then stirred the shrimp into the sauce and cooked it for another few minutes. I didn't have parsley, so I omitted it from the recipe. During this time, the pasta was cooking. The pasta was drained by the time the sauce was done. 






I served the dish to my dad and he loved it. He said. I did an A+ job. My mom said I should make the dish again.


No comments:

Post a Comment