Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pumpkin Pie!!!

As we transition more into autumn I have observed my cravings change from wanting things like salsa, cucumbers, and other fresh foods to cravings for foods cooked or steamed with warming spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Squash and beets have really been hitting the spot lately. 

For the past week I have been really craving pumpkin pie which is probably my favorite pie of all pies. I had some leftover bacon fat from breakfast and thought it might be great in a pie crust. I often replace or supplement bacon fat for butter when ever I have it around. 
I used Bittman's recipe for pie crust (page 928) but replaced 4 tablespoons of butter with the bacon fat.
While the crust was prebaking I mixed the pumpkin pie ingredients together from (page 937).

I was a little skeptical of using whole milk instead of sweetened condensed milk but I trusted Mark and the pie turned out great. I will probably use sweetened condensed milk next time because I think it gives a slightly thicker texture and a flavor that is closer to what I'm used to in pumpkin pie.







No comments:

Post a Comment