Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chili con Carne with Tomatoes (pg. 519)

So I've had this pork belly (yes, a pork belly) in my freezer for week trying to figure out what to do with it, and more importantly how?  As much as I love experimenting with food, meat and poultry have never been a strong suite of mine.  However, as the temperature dropped so drastically this week I deemed it a great time to cook up some chili and make my home a little more warm and toasty.  I was so pleasantly surprised when I read  Bittman's Basics of Buying and Preparing Beans (pg. 500) that beans DON'T HAVE TO SOAK BEFORE COOKING!  It's been my biggest reason for avoiding dry beans and resorted to mushy canned beans.  But no more! 

*One cup of Kidney Beans and one cup of Pinto Beans*

 * About a pound of pork belly (a smidge of the fat trimmed) was seasoned with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and a dash of chili powder*



* Topped with cilantro, plain yogurt, and shredded cheddar*

Enjoyed cross legged on the kitchen floor with corn bread and good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment