Sunday, October 28, 2012

Meal Time on a Dime

4 people, 3 meals, $15.00...Challenge Accepted.

For this weeks Challenge recipe we were presented with the challenge of creating a nutritious day of meals for a family of four on a budget of 15 dollars. Being a Nutrition undergrad, learning how to eat healthy on a budget has become a necessity. Over the past two years I have learned that the best way to get the most nutritional bang for your buck is to buy in bulk, buy in season and cook in batches. 

I also have learned that by limiting the amount of meat I consume and purchase, I am making a choice that is not only helpful for my health but for my pocket book as well. 

Don't believe me? 
20 Something Finance breaks down the numbers...

The Cost of a Vegetarian Diet

You knew I’d be getting around to this at some point!
In my latest stroll through the supermarket, an average pound of  ground beef costs around $5 and a pound of chicken breasts $4. Prices vary widely by cut, but these were just the standard, non-organic, hormonal varieties.
A pound of canned black beans, on the other hand, costs just under $1.
http://20somethingfinance.com/cost-of-vegetarian-diet/
So to be as cost conscious as possible, I created a meal plan that is meat free, still nutrient rich and tasty to boot! 
Grocery List
  • 1 Dozen Eggs
  • 1 Green Pepper
  • 1 Red Pepper
  • 1 Onion
  • 1 Head of Broccoli
  • Brown Rice
  • Garlic
  • Lentils
  • 1 Can of Tomatoes
  • 1/2 Cup of greek yogurt
What I actually purchased... 
*I made all the recipes for the 1 serving instead of the full four so I wouldn't waist all the food but I was sure to purchase enough that I could quadruple what I made Easily :)

Breakfast


Family sized frittata 
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1/2 Green Pepper
  • 1/2 Red Pepper
  • 1/2 Onion
I then used the leftover frittata in my next dish :) 
Lunch

Fried Rice
  • Brown rice
  • 4 Eggs
  • Brocoli
  • Remaining Peppers
Dinner

Dal Nirvana (via Budget Bytes)
Serves four to six

  • 1 c. dry green lentils (I used Chickpeas instead cause they were in budget and convenient) 
  • 1 15 oz. can crushed or diced tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic 
  • 1/4 tsp. ginger spice.
  • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper 
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • Brown Rice
I was angry at myself because I meant to purchase a large pineapple to have as a snack for the family to nibble on throughout the day so that they could get from fruit in their day. So if I could have done the assignment again , I would have added that for I had room for it within my budget :)

Overall I was really satisfied with the meals I prepared for they were healthy and very filling with their high protein and fiber content from the whole grain and beans :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment