Sunday, October 28, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan

Something I have been wanting to make for sometime now is eggplant parmesan.  It has been on my short list for quite sometime. You can find Bittmans recipe on page 297. 
It starts off with just a few basic ingredients.  I used a can of tomato sauce but making your own is super easy and Bittman has a recipe for that on page 502.  Which I had all the intentions of making but was running a little short on time and had to resort to my pantry.

 One thing that I did change from Bittman's recipe was to coat the egg plant in panko bread crumbs rather than just dredging it in flour.  I did this because I wanted a crunchier coating on the egg plant.  I also opted to bake the egg plant as oppose to frying it.  I thought this would lighten it up just a little but still have add lots of flavor to the dish.
 Here is a shot of my small assembly line of layers. A quick breakdown: egg plant, mozzarella slice, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, tomato sauce.  I did three layers of this and that gave a fairly nice looking tower of deliciousness.
 I will say the process was a little time consuming but well worth it. You ca always lay it out in a casserole dish but I thought this was just beautiful and amazing for presentation purposes.
20 minutes or so in the oven, until the cheese is good and gooey. Added sauted kale and lemon as a side. You can find this recipe also in Bitman on page 308, Flash-Cooked Kale with Lemon juice. It had a great refreshing taste to compliment the heavy entre. 
Definately a new favorite for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment