Thursday, November 1, 2012

Homemade Pizza

I love pizza.  Whenever I'm around pizza, I can't stop eating it.  That's why I never order pizza or get it when I'm eating out.  Those pizzas are too big, too delicious, and too much food (but I will eat it all).  I thought I'd try my hand at making my own.

I used Bittman's basic tomato sauce recipe on p.130, but didn't think to check on whether he had a pizza crust recipe.  He does. Instead, I used a recipe I had in my head from my time spent on a farm in Guatemala this summer.  We made pizza crust using only flour, baking soda, water, and vinegar.  I remembered it turning out well so that's what I did.  Once I discovered Bittman's pizza section I'd already made the crust, but I generally followed his Baked Pizza with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella recipe on p.261.

I used the tomatoes we canned in class to make this sauce.

  I didn't have a ton of tomatoes when all was said and done, but I still used the full amount of garlic.  Delicious.

Before and after cooking.


The final product was good.  I included spinach, sauteed onions, and mozzarella and feta cheeses on this pizza.  The crust turned out well in consistency but not as great in taste.  I'll definitely try out Bittman's recipe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment