Sunday, November 4, 2012

Mashed & Thrashed, Cauliflower

Mashed potatoes made from cauliflower?  Yes please! With cheese! (Bittman p.281)

 A few simple steps, and...
 Boom!  Okay, there were a few more steps in-between ..  Anyway, I was really digging the concept of mashed cauliflower, but it made me wonder if the nutritional value diminishes as I cook it down so much to be tender - first there was boiling it in water, then there was heating it up in the sauce and mashing it down.  I actually used a little too much milk too and had to let the sauce boil out a bit once I put the cauliflower in.
Full circle!  I laid the mashed goods in a bed of spinach and it almost looks like another head of cauliflower!  It was pretty good, but I think I should get a better melting cheese next time and find a potato masher...!

No comments:

Post a Comment