Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gnocchi

I had gnocchi in Italy and have been craving it ever since.  With the tail end of harvest season, I started seeing some tasty-looking recipes for pumpkin gnocchi -- I thought "Hey, I bet that would be great with squash".  So on Friday, some friends gathered at my house with healthy appetites and plenty of wine, ready to participate in our first-ever (squash-themed) Project Cook!

Recipe adapted from Bittman's Gnocchi pg 165

I put a butternut squash in the oven for about 45 minutes to soften.  When it was cooked, I simply scraped out the inside and added parmesan cheese, a bit of salt, and flour to the squash.  I continued to add flour until the dough was proper consistency.  Then, I rolled out the dough, cut them into small pieces, and rolled them across a fork to create the signature gnocchi ridges.


While I worked on the pasta, Kendra and our friend Mike took care of the sauce.  We made a cream sauce that included vegetable stock, milk, plenty of mushrooms, and some extra squash -- we used part of an acorn squash.








This was an excellent meal - super tasty, but also incredibly rich and filling.  Most importantly though, it was a great excuse to gather with friends, have a bit of wine, and eat a meal that we've all had a hand in creating.





No comments:

Post a Comment