Friday, November 23, 2012

Weds. lab

Baked Goat Cheese in a Marinara Sauce 

To make up from not having lab on Weds. we were asked to pick one of the recipes made in Mon. lab, I chose to do Baked Goat Cheese. 

Since I was going to be making this for my family members on Thanksgiving, I decided to cater to their needs. They (and me) love dips.  Literally if we could just eat dip for every meal I bet we would.  So in accordance to that, I decided to put my baked goat cheese into a marinara sauce so that my family (and me) could eat it as a dip.

Marinara: 1 yellow onion (chopped), olive oil, 4ish garlic cloves (minced),
2 Tbsp of any herb (chopped), 1/2 cup red wine, 1-28oz can rushed tomatoes,
1-28oz can whole tomatoes, 1-12oz can tomato paste.

For starters I have the softcover edition of Bittman's book and I could not find the Baked Goat Cheese recipe in there so I Google'd it, hopefully it was basically the same thing.  I also decided to make my own marinara sauce, and I found that recipe online.

Since the marinara had to simmer for at least 2 hours, I decided to start that right away.


First I heated up the olive oil (enough to cover the bottom of the pot) and then caramelized the onions. I then added the minced garlic, herbs (I chose to use only basil), and 1/2 cup of red wine and let cook for about 2 minutes. 


I then added all the tomatoes and turned it on low, covered the pot and let simmer for over 2 hours (the recipe only said 2 hours but I was doing family things).

After those 2 hours were up I decided to make the baked goat cheese. I decided to make my life easier and get the goat cheese that already had garlic and herbs in it, so all I needed to do was form them into patties and sprinkle olive oil on them.


  
                              


  I then covered them in bread crumbs and put them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.


My family, and me, were too impatient to wait for the baked goat cheese to cool....so I just put them in a dish with the marinara sauce and since they weren't cooled them fell apart easily but that did not stop us from eating it. It was super delicious and was gone in 10 minutes! 




No comments:

Post a Comment