Sunday, November 25, 2012

Martha Stewart's Chunky Apple Cranberry Sauce

For Thanksgiving dinner I decided to make the cranberry sauce. I was intrigued by this recipe on marthastewart.com and decided to go with it. I was a little unsure about the savory qualities of the onion, ginger, and mace but Martha has never failed me so I went with it.

  • 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries
  • 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • Juice and grated zest of 1 orange
  • 1/3 cup dried currants


I ended up using cinnamon instead of mace because I could not find it anywhere, and I omitted the currants.
cran heart
First I combined the onion, red wine, and sugar and let it simmer
Then threw in the cranberries, apple, mace, cinnamon, orange zest, ginger, and orange juice and cooked it until all the cranberries had split and the apples were soft
The result was a delectable chutney that tasted great on the thanksgiving turkey


No comments:

Post a Comment