Saturday, November 3, 2012

Broccoli Mac and Cheese and Pan-Cooked Salmon

This week I decided to make Baked Macaroni and Cheese (pg. 508) and Pan-Cooked Salmon (pg. 580) from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.


The Baked Macaroni and Cheese called for:

  • Salt
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • 1 pound cut pasta
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cups bread crumbs








First I heat the oven to 400F . Then I brought a large pot of water to a boil and salted it for the pasta. I decided to use spiral pasta. 













I decided to make Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese, so I cut up some broccoli and then blanched it. 











Then I heated the milk with bay leaves in a small saucepan. After about five minutes I turned off the heat. 











In another pot, I melted the butter. When it was melted, I added the flour. When the mixture was brown, I removed the bay leaves from the milk and poured some milk into the butter-flour mixture. I gradually added more milk until all the milk was used and the mixture was thick and smooth. 










I then added the cheddar. 















I then added the broccoli. 













While this was happening, I added the pasta to the boiling water. 












When the pasta was ready I poured it into a glass baking pan. Then I poured the cheese mixture over it and mixed them together. 

















I then mixed the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper into it, and topped it with bread crumbs. After that, I put it in the oven to bake. 









To make it a meal, I made Pan-Cooked Salmon. I had made this before using Bittman's recipe, so I didn't even look up the recipe.

The Pan-Cooked Salmon called for:
  • Salmon
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive oil

I put olive oil in a large pan. Then I salted/peppered the salmon. I then cooked the Salmon. Very easy!


 It turned out very good. I must admit though that my favorite part of the meal was the salmon. The baked mac and cheese came out a little dry. It turned out really good in class though, so maybe I need to make more cheese sauce next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment