Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sauteed Chicken Cutlets with Quick Sauce

I don't buy much meat -- this was actually the first chicken I've bought this semester -- and there are a lot of reasons for that. 
1. Raw meat eeks me out
2. It's expensive
3. If I do buy meat, I'd rather invest in high-quality, organic, well-treated animals, which makes it even more expensive and less convenient to come by.

That being said, I love eating chicken, so every once in a while it's worth the effort.
A few weeks ago I picked up a pair of chicken breasts from the farmer's market, and I wanted to put them to good use.  I found a recipe in Bittman (pg 389) for basic sauteed chicken cutlets, which I figured I could make all at once and use the left-overs for a few meals in the following days.
This recipe also comes with an added bonus: leftover sauce, perfect for dousing chicken, potatoes, or anything else really.






The chicken part was very basic; I just cut each breast in half, dredged them in flour, and sauteed them for a few minutes on each side until they were nearly cooked through.  Then, while I moved on to the sauce, I put the cutlets into a preheated oven where they finished cooking.




After removing the chicken from the skillet, I sauteed some onions, then added chicken stock, reduced the mixture, added white cooking wine and reduced again.  I ended up with a really nice gravy that was perfect on the new potatoes I had been boiling up.














This was probably my #1 favorite thing I've cooked out of Bittman so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment