Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chili with a Dr. Oz Twist
[Bittman, pg. 512, softcover, http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/prehistoric-diet-recipes?page=3#copy]

I haven't consumed chili in a long while (which is a change for me since when I live at home last school year I ate it once a week).  In this time of living at home, mother and I were obsessed with watching Dr. Oz everyday at 3pm (and the Doctors at 2pm!). During this particular show on prehistoric diets he talked about this chili recipe that was soon to be a weekly meal at the Fabian household.  Bittman's chili recipe is very basic while Dr. Oz's chili recipe has a lot of the same ingredients plus more vegetables! 

Chili powder, curry powder, celery, vegetable broth, carrots, diced
tomatoes, tomato paste, pinto beans, black beans, chickpeas,
yellow onion, corn, spinach --- was going to put acorn squash in it but decided
 I rather eat that next week 
Chili as many of you know is very versatile, you can basically put whatever vegetables you want in it, so I used what I had in my house at the time. I guesstimate on all my vegetable portions, but I have made this is a ba-zillion times, look at the Dr. Oz website or Bittman book provided above for guidance on how much of each item to put into the chili.


For starters you want to put enough broth to cover at least an inch of the bottom of the pot.  Then you want to put in the diced onions, carrots, and celery and let cook until onions are translucent and carrots/celery somewhat soft.


After the that you can add everything else (including the remaining broth) in EXCEPT the spinach.  I used 3 different kinds of beans in this chili, so beware its super delicious and good for the digestive tract.  Also it is cheaper and better to use dried beans and soak them over night in water, but you have to plan in advance for that.  Let simmer for 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Once chili appears soft and tastes wonderful, add the spinach and turn off the heat. 


Perfection at its finest.  You can serve this baby up with cheese and sour cream if you don't like mild spice, otherwise enjoy plain! (p.s. if adding cheese, use cheddar, mozzarella is never ending and super stringy...but still delicious if its the only cheese you have) 



No comments:

Post a Comment