Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hunter's Stew Success


Hunter’s Stew Success
John Frame


The deer-hunting season in Wisconsin is on its final day for the 2012 season. Being a deer hunter, I thought it was very appropriate to cook Hunter’s Stew found on page 787 of the red Bittman book. As I was looking through the ingredients and directions, I saw that lots of meat was needed and it was pretty simple. This sounded like a perfect thing to make to redeem myself to my brother for making him eat the gluten-free vegan zucchini pancakes.


I made a few alterations to the ingredients list because they were not available. I did not add the sauerkraut, shitake mushrooms, or caraway seeds. And for the beef option, I used about 3 pounds of round steak. It ended up being a double batch so I could take it back up to school with me.


I knew this would be a hard recipe to screw up because there was so much bacon used. And not only that, all the bacon grease was kept in the pot to cook the onions and then later used as the broth! Talk about a healthy stew….


The final product was great. I would definitely make this again especially during the winter months. It would be the perfect thing to eat on a cold winters night. More importantly, my brother approved and I have partially redeemed myself for making those pancakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment