Friday, November 30, 2012

Coq au Vin



One of my good friends is an eater in training. We’ve been trying to expand and develop his pallet as well as gain an understanding and appreciation for food… good food. For a little over a year now, we have been creating home made meals together. Enjoying every part to the process from grocery store trips to cleaning up the dishes after the meal is done.  Unfortunately he is moving away and our culinary journey will soon be coming to an end I have been exposing him to various different recipes and cuisines that are unfamiliar to the both of us.  But I also try to get some basic dishes that he can take and put into his recipe bank.   This past weekend we wanted to do a chicken dish something that could easily be used as leftovers for weekday lunches.  Browsing through Bittman's How To Cook Everything I found Coq au Vin or Chicken in a Red Wine Sauce on page 649.   I thought this would be a perfect staple for for over the winter months in the Midwest.  

Another one of my own personal goals is to buy local as much as possible.  I am proud to say over 50% of this meal is locally produced and 100% of the meat is raised right here in Minnesota.  I still can improve but I am very happy to pay the extra money to support such a worthwhile cause.  Also it feels great eating it!

I actually butchered the whole chicken myself.  I forgot my knives (which I will usually bring over with me) so that was quite a challenge.  But successfully we disassembled the chicken into its proper parts. 
This is another one pot dish (helps save on the pan washing, which is always a plus).  Our sauce did not quite reduce down to what we were looking for however it did have the flavors and it was quite delicious with a side of roasted garlic mashed potatoes.



 All in all I would say a success, and I believe a great recipe to have as a go to for weeknight meal or a special occasion on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment