Saturday, November 24, 2012

Kale

Once again, my family became the victims of my experimental cooking... although they never really complain.  This time, my focus was kale, and they were a bit under-enthusiastic about this adventure.
I didn't have my Bittman book with me, but I remembered cooking collard greens a few weeks back and I thought I'd try to adapt that method with Kale.

Ingredients:
1 bundle of raw kale
2 cloves of garlic
olive oil
water
salt and pepper
red wine vinegar










The recipe itself was simple; I basically just cooked the garlic until it was soft and then steamed the kale for 5 minutes or so.
















When it was finished cooking, I added a bit of salt and pepper and sprinkled it with red wine vinegar.









We ate the kale alongside some of our homemade pizza.  I thought the flavor was really nice and I definitely was a fan of the result.  However, I got mixed reviews from the peanut gallery.  Kale is not something that has ever been included in our family cooking, and I think it was the first time most of my taste-testers had tried it.  While some agreed that they liked the flavor or the texture, most agreed that there was something missing.  I think if I tried to make it for them in the future, I would possibly toss it with balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar, and maybe add some feta cheese and craisins or something that would add more depth to the side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment