Thursday, November 15, 2012


A Convenient Meal?

For this third challenge I tried to make a meal from the most "convenient" food (not a grocery store for the assignment's sake) source to my house.  Avoiding the Super America 3 blocks from my house, I ventured to 22nd and University Avenue to Deans Circle Inc (I forgot my camera, but if you'd like to check it out it's attached to the liquor store across from 22nd Station).  Inside was your typical convenience store pantry of chips, cans, and frozen pizzas.  But also, there was a small selection of produce that was less than attractive.  It was hard to think up a meal on the fly from such little variety but I cam home with this: 

  • Rice- $1.49
  • 1 can of black beans- $1.99
  • 2 peppers- $1.00
  • 4 tomatoes- $1.50
  • Onion- $0.50
  • Garlic- $0.35
  • 2 bananas- $0.66
  • Yogurt- $2.00
Grand Total:  $9.49





I decided to roast the peppers and tomatoes to make and then make a sauce (which turned out like a jam) to put on the rice. 



 




I sauteed the black beans with some garlic, cumin, and oregano.

Voila!
It was actually pretty tasty.  However, going off of this weeks theme of food insecurity and cooking education, I think it is safe to assume that most folks who shopped at Dean's Circle Inc and had zero idea of what to do with the scarce produce selection would probably opt for a bag of Funyuns or a gyro from the deli counter instead.

As for the banana yogurt desert I had in mind...dinner was too filling :)


No comments:

Post a Comment