Thursday, November 22, 2012

Hamburgers and French Fries

I heard that the day before thanksgiving is when pizza is the most popular meal, but I decided to make Mark Bittman's "My Favorite Burger" (721-723) and "French Fries" (346-347) from How to Cook Everything.





The hamburger called for:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds not-too-lean sirloin or chuck, cut into 1-inch chunks, or pregound meat
  • 1/2 white onion, peeled and cut into chunks
  • salt and ground black pepper












 First I minced the onion. I used a whole onion, because I had three pounds of 73% lean ground beef










I put the ground beef in a bowl and mixed in the minced onion. Then salt and peppered it, and mixed it all together.












After that I made patties and put them in a large skillet to cook.












 The french fries called for:
  • oil
  • 2 pounds potatoes
  • salt










 First, I put oil in a pot and heated it.














Then I washed the potatoes and shaved them. When they were all shaved, I cut them into shoestrings.












Then I put them in the hot oil to fry.










 When the fries were done, they were salted. The recipe says to fry the fries twice in hot oil, so they stay crispy, but I was getting impatient and the hamburgers were done, so I only fried them once. They turned out good anyhow. The hamburgers were topped with cheese. Mayonnaise was spread on the hamburger buns. Then the patties were put on the buns and topped with ketchup and mustard. The hamburgers were delicious. My sister said they tasted better than restaurant burgers!


No comments:

Post a Comment