Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mill City Winter Farmer's Market

For my field trip this week I headed over to the Mill City Museum to check out the indoor winter farmer's market.  I was really excited to learn about a month ago that the Mill City Farmer's Market is staying open throughout the winter and holding once monthly farmers markets inside the Mill City Museum.  I always get bummed in the winter that local produce is so much harder to come by, especially if you don't have a winter CSA.

This is the view of the market upon entering the museum.  It wasn't big.  There were a bunch of tables in the center of the museum and some off to one side (below).

This area had meats, cheeses, and eggs as well as some produce and baked goods.


There were some people playing live music over by the cafe.

I was excited to be able to by local produce.  I bought some carrots and potatoes from Stone's Throw Urban Farm and found out about their CSA program.  I think I might try to get a half share for next summer. I also saw Karen Clark, my state representative, manning the booth for the Women's Environmental Institute.  I spoke with her for a long while since I've been trying to get in touch with her to see if she might have projects I could collaborate on with her as a field experience for my master's program.  I bought about 10 apples and a bunch of freshly picked kale from her booth.  The apples and kale were really expensive, but I felt really good to be supporting WEI and buying local even in December.

I hope to go to the market again in January.  It was great to see vendors out and lots of people still coming to support local food producers even in the winter months.  It would be great if the market could expand to include many more farmers and potentially offer storage crops all throughout the winter.  Hopefully we'll get there someday!


No comments:

Post a Comment