Sunday, December 2, 2012

Field Trip 1

I volunteered at the Salvation Army. “The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination” (Salvation Army Website). 
 
I volunteered at the homeless shelter in downtown, Minneapolis as a Meal Service Assistant. The volunteer position entailed preparing, serving, and cleaning up of meals at their Harbor Light Center. They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day, year round. My volunteer service consisted of two sessions (October 6th and October 13th). I volunteered during the lunch period (11am – 2pm). On my first day, I helped set up the salad bar. When the first group came in to eat, I served them soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. Three groups came in, in the time between groups I helped wipe the tables down and service line. When all the groups were done, I again helped to wipe down the tables, and helped with the dishes. On my second day, I helped make fruit cups, which would be used for the next day’s breakfast. I also helped cut and plate pie slices for the next day’s church meeting. Then I helped cut extra cake for that day’s lunch. They were serving chicken strips and soup. When lunch was done, I helped wipe down the tables.
 
I volunteered as a  Meal Service Assistant, because I believe that everyone deserves a chance to get at least one nutritious meal every day. The homeless people that come to the Salvation Army are struggling. By serving them meals, they are given a place to go so they can stay off the streets, and the food is giving them energy they need so that they can fight to make their lives better.

This experience relates to the food system because its a place for people to get food that can't afford it. This helps to eliminate hunger. The food system includes everything involved to produced food and get it to the people.




No comments:

Post a Comment