Sunday, December 2, 2012

Challenge #3 It'z Nachoz Time!

Nachos are healthy, right? Right?

Don't mind I'm long overdue on this, I had to do it some time.

I stopped at the BP by Bailey Hall, and went in to find something to craft a healthy meal. I got stuck on blue-chip nachos, with mild salsa and a naked for my servings of fruit. The salsa counted as about one serving of veggies. I had literally just returned from the Hampden Co-op, buying the ingredients for challenge number 4, so this was very stressful. As you can see, it cost me almost $15 to buy all the ingredients for nachos.

To make the nachos, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees, laid down tortilla chips, topped with cheese, and repeated to get three layers. It went into the oven for 10 minutes, which was too long for some spots and too little for others - a lower oven temp and longer cooking time?
 I took this out, brought it to my friends, and had my fill, while sipping on the naked (supposed to be split with one other person, but that wasn't going to happen!)

The biggest flaw with this was the ENORMOUS amount of sodium in this meal. The tortilla chips alone provided around 400mg sodium per realistic serving. Added on to that another 400mg sodium for the cheese, and around 300 for the salsa. That's almost half the adequate daily intake for sodium of 2300mg. And this cost $15 to feed one person and provide a snack for three more. That's not okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment