Sunday, December 2, 2012

Challenge Recipe # 4

For this recipe I ventured to Eastside Co-op in Northeast.  I had just gotten off of work and could not get the smell of brunch off of my mind and so I decided to recreate the cauliflower hash that we were featuring today!  As we've mentioned before in class discussion and lab, co-ops have this stigma of being pricey and that deters us from spending what little money we have on the quality food they provide.  However, being reminded that buying seasonal ingredients is one way to combat the price!  Therefor beets, onions and potatoes were the basis of my meal and my most costly items were the luxuries: dill and goat cheese!

My Complete Grocery List:
Dill $2.99
Goat Cheese $3.49
Eggs $2.99
Cauliflower $2.29
Onion $.49
Potato $.65
Beet $1.16




Total = $14.06 (However, I didn't end up using all the ingredients and there was still left overs!)

I chopped the potato, beet, and 1/2 onion into bite sized chunks, coated in olive oil/thyme/dill, and roasted at 400 degrees.  While the roots were in the oven, I tossed some onions and chopped cauliflower in a saute pan (as well as some frozen peas I found in the freezer because I thought they would look and taste great with the dish!) to soften the cauliflower and give it an enhanced flavor.  

Once all my veggies were ready I tossed them all together in a saute pan to crisp them up a bit.  My boyfriend helped me poach some eggs-a reoccurring struggle- and we plated the dish with a side of goat cheese and dill spread on toast.  

Okay, so I added a few at home ingredients.  But we can pretend my 1/2 cup of peas and 2 slices of bread were a part of the unused egg cost, deal? This dish was wonderful!  Not only was it colorful and delicious- but exactly what I had wanted for a late Sunday brunch.  





No comments:

Post a Comment