Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Brrrrrread

 There is nothing like a warm, cozy loaf of bread on a cold winter day.  Seriously though, when your apartment building has an old radiator heating system that has only one thermostat to control the air temperature for 20+ apartments.... yeah you're not going to make everyone happy!  In my case, it's often a little cooler than I like in my room (then again I like to hang out in boxers when I'm home...).  TMI???  Regardless, armed with cranberries, walnuts, and chocolate chips I was very excited to make some bread from Bittman's Fruit-and-Nut recipe on page 843.
 I had been wanting to bake the whole semester and only finally got around to it a few weeks ago.  What I did was inspired by this whole wheat walnut bread I had eaten at Lucia's that was just so delicious.  I can't say I got anywhere near it, but it was definitely a step in the right direction (especially with cranberries and chocolate chips ;).
After a nervousness of over-checking the bread and thus opening the oven door way too many times... I am happy to say it was neither under-cooked nor burnt!  This warm loaf was delicious with my added ingredients and the warmth of the oven also helped warm up my apartment!  I think next time I want to make it a little more moist though.  Oh!  I also cut the sugar in half (maybe because I was making up for it with cranberries and chocolate chips), cutting it from 1 cup to a half a cup - and I thought it was totally fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment