Saturday, December 8, 2012

Ceaser Salad

I can't even start to count how many times we have heard Jenny over the semester preach about how simple it is to make so many items we find and buy in the grocery store.  I am all about making meals from scratch but I could use some work on my ingredients scratch making.  I decided a creamy ceaser dressing would be a great place to start.  Bittman has a basic recipe on page 203.  I have always loved steak and ceaser salads, I was lucky enough to grow up with a mother that actually put time into making them from scratch, but only on occasion. 
The ceaser dressing I was a little nervous about because you barely cook the eggs (about 60 sec) but I knew I had quality eggs so I just went with it.  Once the eggs were done I just added all the ingredients together besides the oil.  The oil came last and I added that in small increments to establish a good emulsion. To do this you can use a food processor or if not I went with a mason jar and shook it like crazy. Within minutes it was completely mixed and tasted delicious.
For the steak I went with a quick sear on high heat to brown the outside.  I used my cask iron to do this and finished the steak off in the oven, to my desired doneness.  I prefer my steak on the rare side but my guest who was also eating this prefers his a little more done.  I of course went with the request of my guest.
In a less then a half an hour from walking in the door I had a delicious steak ceaser salad on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment