Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chicken with Tomatoes, Carrots, & Squash

This week, I tried out Bittman's recipe for Chicken Cutlets and Tomatoes in Packages, p. 683 (hardcover). Since fall is definitely here -- this weekend was gorgeous -- I decided to use a little acorn squash, carrots, and tomatoes for the topping, i.e. the grated vegetables option.
For this recipe, I placed the chicken in tin-foil squares and then layered the carrots, squash, and tomatoes on top. Add a little salt, pepper, and balsamic oil and you're good to go!
I closed up the tin-foil packages and placed the chicken in a baking dish in an oven set to 450 degrees. The recipe said it should take about 20 min; I ended up leaving it in there for an extra 15 min. I served the chicken with my version of zucchini pancakes for the challenge recipe. The meal was delicious! I've never cooked such juicy chicken before, and the flavors of all the vegetables were amazing.
While the chicken was good, my boyfriend and I agree that there was some texture missing. Next time I think I will sear the chicken before putting it in the oven to crisp the skin a bit. I liked that there were so many different options for the chicken packages -- I will definitely try some other varieties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment