Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homemade Granola

Jena Fabian saves money by making her own GRANOLA!!! (page 821, hardcover edition)

Making your own food from scratch instead of buying pre-made products is a great way to save money, plus you know where the ingredients are coming from and you can modify it to your dietary needs.  Granola is a really easy snack to make and you basically put anything in it you want, just as long as you have a sticky sweetener and oats.  


The recipe says to add any type of mixed nut and seeds, to make it cheaper for me and to get the most variety I choose to buy a pre-mixed nut and fruit product.  I also used honey made in Madison Wisconsin produced at a family friend's farm (so good).  Coconut was optional in the recipe but I'm obsessed with it so it was a no brainer that it was going to be in my granola.  I then decided to add 1 cup of choc-o-late to my granola mix (although not in the recipe) because chocolate is a girl's best friend and everyone needs chocolate in their life (unless your allergic).


Basically you just add all your ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir...I used my hands (after thoroughly washing) and mixed it all up.  A very sticky process but a nasty snack to lick off my fingers to hold me over until the granola was done.


I then put a layer of granola on a baking sheet and put it in the oven for a half an hour, occasionally mixing it.


And botta-boo-botta-bang DONE! Super easy and not a lot of work at all.  After making this I will never buy granola again, literally I have like 5 pounds of granola I need to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment