Sunday, September 30, 2012

Jam filled Crepes

Since it is morning, I decided I would look  in the "Eggs, Breakfast, and Dairy" chapter of How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman. In this chapter I stumbled upon Crepes, Sweet or Savory (pg. 817-818). I hadn't had Crepes in a long while, so I thought it would be nice to make.



The recipe called for:

1 Cup all-purpose flour
Pince of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter, plus unmelted butter

This recipe made 12 to 16 crepes. Since I was only cooking for myself, I decided to cut the recipe in half.







With a wisk I combined all of the ingredients, except for the unmelted butter, in a bowl. I then let the batter rest in the refridgerator.




After the batter was cooled, I put a non-stick skillet over medium heat and added a small amount of butter. When the butter melted, I poured batter onto the skillet until it made a thin layer. When the top of the crepe looked dry I flipped it. 

 The crepe turned out slightly brown and not crisp, which is what I wanted! In the book it said that the first crepe almost never works out, even for professionals. This is exactly what happened for me. My first two crepes didn't turn out the greatest, which is too bad since I only ended up making three crepes. My third crepe, however, turned out perfect. Since I only made three crepes out of the batter, instead of the expected 6-8, I decided not to discard my first two like the book suggested.


 I decided I wanted to make a Sweet Crepe. The book had different suggestions on what to put on a crepe. I tried to follow the recipe for the Creamy Caramel Sauce (pg. 922), but it didn't work out... The book also said jam would go nicely with it, so I spread some Smucker's Red Raspberry Preserves on my crepes.




 I then folded the crepe. The picture shown (top and left) is my best crepe!









The crepe was very delicious!!! I gave my dad a bite and he liked it too. I think this is definitely something I will make again with different fillings. Maybe I will try the Creamy Caramel Sauce again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment