Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pita with Ground Lamb and Zucchini

This recipe is found on page 272 of the softcover Bittman book.

The recipe includes:
-ground lamb
-onion
-garlic
-zucchini
-chopped walnuts
-canned plum tomatoes
-ground cinnamon
-salt and pepper
-pita bread
-carrot or parsley as garnish (I chose not to use these)

That's lamb in that bag. I swear!
I only used half a pound of the lamb and half of the zuchinni because I did not want to make too much as I was the only one eating.

I chopped the onion and the zuchinni into small squares and minced the garlic. I also chopped up the plum tomatoes. And then it was time to begin cooking the lamb. When the lamb began to brown I added in the zuchinni, garlic, and onion. After those veggies started to get soft (about five minutes) I added the tomatoes, walnuts, cinnamon, salt, and pepper and simmered for another 10 minutes until the mixture became thick.

Yummmmm
While simmering, I warmed six small pieces of pita bread in the oven so I would be ready to eat while it was all still hot. Once the mixture was thick and the pita bread was warm I was ready to combine them into something delicious.

This is me attempting to make it look artistic or something.
I'm not sure how different this would have turned out if I had stuck with the same proportion of ingredients as in the book, but it still turned out great. I actually ate the entire thing by myself because I was pretty hungry. If I were to do this again, I think I would have used a little bit more cinnamon and zucchini because I didn't really taste any cinnamon even though I could smell it and there just didn't seem to be enough green color in the finished product for my taste.

Oh! One last thing. Don't put the pita filling in between the pitas on your plate like I did or they will get soggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment